You want to learn
- To refine the most advanced navigational techniques with a map and compass
- Perfect your micro navigation
- Navigate over the most difficult terrain in the worst weather, with no visibility and scarce features
- Estimate and convert bearing and coordinates
- Understand night navigation techniques
- Be able to search for others and conduct self recovery
- Move safely with groups
- Practice emergency procedures with a group and know what to do in an emergency.
The beautiful Peak District was the UK’s first National Park and is the site of the first mass trespass in 1932, opening up the hills for everyone as the start of the right to roam. So it really is the birth of hill walking in the UK!
Its 555 square miles is split to the north by the rugged Dark Peak, and to the south to the gentler, rolling and stunning White Peak.
The Dark Peak is ideal for navigation training. Famous areas such as Bleaklow and Kinder Scout offer wild and remote terrain, often with large expanses of featureless moor so your instructor can really help you hone your micro navigation. From gritstone crags, to reservoirs and wide cloughs and grouphs, the Dark Peak provides you a fantastic mix of terrain upon which to learn navigation at all levels, and right where it all started!
Windy Harbour Farm Hotel
The Windy Harbour Farm Hotel, situated in a rural location just outside Glossop, in Derbyshire. With views over the Woodhead and Longdendale we are in an unrivalled position on the edge of the Peak District. Windy Harbour Farm Hotel, in Glossop, is a family owned business offering a warm welcome, home cooked food and a well stocked bar often serving speciality cask ales.
Our twin and double rooms, all en-suite, are each individually furnished.
When booking simply quote “Ultimate Navigation School” for a special room rate.
This hotel is where the course will start from and end at each day, so is an ideal location.BOOK NOW
Map – The Windy Harbour is ideally suited to walk out onto Bleaklow and the Dark Peak
If our recommended hotel is full, we suggest an alternative hotel close by for you – Wind in the Willows