You want to learn
- Navigation principles and basic tools and techniques including scale, time, distance, direction
- Map types, orienting a map, different norths, basic map reading, using features, contours, grid references and navigating using a map
- Compass fundamentals and basic usage, how to take a bearing, differences in bearing types
- How to plan a trip, choose a route and move safely within your abilities
- Emergency procedures and what to do in an emergency.
With 368 square miles of unspoilt beauty, Dartmoor is the place to experience freedom – unadulterated, dramatic, and inspiring freedom. It’s the kind of place you can just venture into, camping out under the stars, or dipping into here and there to uncover hidden gems of pubs, culture and natural wonders. Dartmoor is the largest and wildest area of open country in Southern England, and it really feels like it.
The White Hart Hotel Dartmoor
The White Hart Hotel is a family–owned hotel and very much at the heart of the local community here in the moorland town of Moretonhampstead. An ideal base from which to explore this beautiful area of Devon, the White Hart has 20 well-appointed bedrooms in the main hotel and a further eight in a separate mews building.
When booking simply quote “Ultimate Navigation School” for a special room rate.
This hotel is where the course will start from and end at each day, so is an ideal location.
Map – The White Hart Hotel is ideal for Dartmoor and the surrounding fells.
If our recommended hotel is full, an alternative hotel a few miles away is The Mill End Hotel, or there are B&Bs closer by.